Monday, August 18, 2008

Checking the Chromosomes


Well, we got GREAT news today from Dr. Grote.
My chromosome are looking good!
Why is that important? One strand of AML automatically requires a bone marrow transplant because of bad chromosomes. The other strand, which apparently I have, can be cured without a transplant. So I am rejoicing with my family and friends today that I have healthy chromosomes.
Dr. Grote reiterated how pleased he is with my progress, despite the pneumonia and low white blood cell counts. He indicated that these things are to be expected when your white cells are so low. He explained that the pneumonia will probably not go away until my white blood cells begin to increase. My body needs these white cells to do things the antibiotics can't do. But the fact that they are taking their time coming back is natural. It could take another week. Of course, I want to see them bouncing back yesterday. Once the stem cells do start producing WBC, they will jump and multiply abundantly. So we wait---with anticipation.

I feel very fatigued and the fevers wipe me out. I know many of you have asked about visiting this week, but I am afraid that I need to postpone your visits until I feel a bit better. The realization of having leukemia is setting in and I had my first cry just a few days ago. I'm not despairing - I feel like I'm beings broken. Having some solitude will help me both to rest and process - plus my friends are just a phone call away. Each day is so different for me. I never know what to expect from one day to the next. Please continue praying for me and I will let you know when I feel stronger.

Pictures from Vera Ramsey
So tonight as I end the day, Monday, August 18, 2008, I give you three dancers - bald dancers may I add. The joy comes from within. Sometimes I think it comes from gratitude. It's hard to have one without the other. I continue to pray for both. I am so grateful for your love and prayers and your tokens of love. My parents went to a church this Sunday in my neighborhood and when they had given their names to the greeter, he said, "Dering, why we pray for a Rhonda Dering. Are you related?" I am on their prayer list and they don't even know me. Someone in the neighborhood must attend the church. Prayer spreads like a wild fire. Well I need to go to bed. It has been good to write you, my heart feel full and these statues make me want to worship. I leave you with a verse from Lamentations 3. It is one of the scriptures God uses to lift me up on heavy days.

"I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and gall. I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me. Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope. Because of the Lord's great love, we are not consumed for his compasssions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I will say to myself, 'THE LORD IS MY PORTION; THEREFORE I WILL WAIT FOR HIM.' The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him, it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord. Lamentations 3:19-26

Good night, my friends
Love,
Rhonda

2 comments:

amy s said...

You are such a beautiful person - you know I love you! Amy

The Holloways said...

I am weepy with gladness over your good news, and weepy with sadness over the difficulty of the journey. Thanks so much for writing us all, Rhonda. Every day I anticipate reading your blog and finding out what is happening. Thank you for giving us your beautiful heart.