This blog is a hard one for me to write. Dr. Grote called yesterday, Tuesday, with the results from the bone marrow aspiration I had done on Monday. We were all hoping and praying that the results would show that I am in remission - free from cancer cells, but unfortunately that is not the case. My white blood cells count is still only around 2.0; 90% of them are healthy but 10% of them are cancerous.
What does this mean for me? Well, it means that since the stem cells in my bone marrow are producing cancer cells, I will need a bone marrow transplant to fix it. A transplant would allow my defected bone marrow to be destroyed and replaced with a good one. Hopefully one of my sisters will be a good match and will be able to donate some of their bone marrow. In order to have the transplant, I will first need to be in remission - so I will need to be readmitted to the hospital for more chemotheraphy. Once I'm in remission, they can prepare me for the bone marrow transplant. I'm not sure how it all works, when it will take place or how long it will take. All these questions and more will hopefully be answered this week during my appointment at Duke on Thursday. Then on Monday the 22nd, I will have a consultation with Dr. Grote who will confirm the treatment plan and lay out a schedule for the treatments. I will let you know once I know.
This has be very surprising news. Even Dr. Grote anticipated that I would be in remission since I appeared to be doing so well. To be honest it has shaken me. I could not write you yesterday because my heart was so heavy and my mind so preoccupied with contacting my family. We, my family and friends, need your prayers as we process the information I receive from Duke and as we move forward down this more difficult path.
I know that as my Creator, God exist outside of time. Being the creator of time, He already dwells in my tomorrow while at the same time is with me today. He comforts me.
Rhonda
No comments:
Post a Comment