Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Wednesday in February

it's Phyl


We waited all weekend to hear that the last round of chemo had not worked. Her counts had dropped quickly after the treatment and we were hopeful that this time something was really happening. However, again, the drugs had not really touched the leukemia. Yesterday, two of her main doctors told her they would not consider anymore chemo, the radiation and transplant would be of no use. They are going to let her come home. I don't know exactly when, maybe a week or so when her infection has cleared. In these months we have been given profound clarity. A Finger has cleared a small space on the foggy glass that we all look through and this world has become clear for this time. Profound clarity.......joy.......gratitude....... and deep, deep sorrow. Pray for us as we pray for you.



Always,

Phyl

7 comments:

sweetness said...

Rhonda,
This is a hard blow for all of us here at the Vander Arks and for the kingdom. Rhonda, you have been a conduit/the hand of God/the voice of His Spirit in my life. Your tenderness and joy have always reminded me, in the deep places, of how much Jesus loves me and it will be missed. I will pray for all of you to bear this news and the next part of the journey with courage and hope and lots of tears... of sadness and rejoicing. What a road this has been.
I love you, Sweetie!
Cynthia

Stephanie said...

Rhonda,
I echo Cynthia and Phyl's thoughts and say how deeply saddened we are to hear this news. We pray for courage and continue to pray for healing. Love to you and your dear family.
Stephanie, Gaius, Emma and Camille

masihghar said...

Oh, Rhonda, rhonda, rhonda. God is so good...yet...this is so hard. But somehow in the midst of this news, I claim a hope for you, for us all.. that I can't even understand but I know it's there. I'm listening to a christian song in the background and I hear the words.... "you have overcome the grave, your glory fills the highest place, what can separate me now...you tore the veil, you made a way, when you said that it is done...." There lies our hope, our surety... and I sigh a surrendered, peaceful sigh. We give you a huge London hug that reaches from here to there. Luv, us Weisses.

momo said...

Dear Rhonda,

I keep writing and deleting - I'm at a loss as to what to say. I just started from the beginning of this blog and read through each post. I am so very grateful for the reminder of God's constant promises to us - our only hope indeed lies with Him. I am renewed in my desire to draw peace from the gospel as I pray for you and your family to be embraced in peace and the knowledge that you are so dearly loved. You have drawn so may people not only closer to you and each other, but closer to God - I am deeply grateful for that. I had read that stroking your head comforts you - so I'm giving you a big cyber hug and soft soothing strokes on your head. Love, Maureen

Anonymous said...

I can't stop weeping. I love you so much. What a quiet and gigantic woman of God you are. You minister in your pain. You minister in your joy. You minister in your smile. You minister by allowing us to be on this journey with you. You are such a graceful person. I love you, and I can't wait to hug you. God bless you in the next days as His plan unfolds and we are surprised by His mercy. God is good and He, and only He, knows what tomorrow holds. Love you my friend.
Martha

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this blog Ms. Derring and thank you for the update Mrs. Calhoun.

Justin Chin

Catherine said...

Rhonda,
I am without words...but full of love and faith. I pray for your healing, strength and peace. I know you look forward to being home. I hope you feel the immeasurable love of your friends and family and God.

(((HUGE hug)))
Catherine