Tuesday, February 3, 2009

As of late...

It's Phyl. Yesterday Rhonda's mom and sister drove her back to Duke to start the fifth round of chemo. The last several days Rhonda has tried to write you. I found a long draft and with her permission, I'll send it a bit later. In it she shares her heart and Scripture echos from the walls of its chambers.

The time is 5:04, according to the bottom right corner of my computer. I woke up as I do most mornings these days with her floating in my thoughts. She asked me to let you all know how the last week or so has gone and so in my own words...

She spent several days in Amy's home with mostly close friends and her mom. Except for the absence of her beautiful red hair, for a few moments, it seemed she wasn't sick at all. We laughed and ate and sung and prayed and read and remembered all the very good things that have made us friends. On Thursday fever appeared and we went to the doctors to have blood checked. Her white cells were growing rapidly, her joints and "bones" were aching and she was admitted back to Forsyth. Over the weekend we could see in her eyes that she was becoming weaker and less lucid. Originally the plan was for her to go to Duke on Wednesday but Dr. DeCastro wanted her earlier. So yesterday, Nancy, MaryAlice, Amy, Wendy and I packed her up and sent her off. The nurses kissed her and hugged her goodbye with prayers and tears.

As I wheeled Rhonda to the car I told her that I would work hard at not making this entry about me. She laughed. I was serious. I know there are hundreds of you sweet people who read this every day hoping to hear the details of her progress. As you pray for Rhonda to be healed, simply understand that there is treasure to be found all along the way even till the end of time. Jesus is doing miracles, you know, those things he always does that we just don't see. Maybe He will heal her body or maybe He won't, but He is still bringing her from death to life. Her spirit is strong. Her desire to fight remains. She doesn't complain. She knows you are close by, is still surprised by your kindnesses and longs for you to know how grateful she is.


Keep praying and rejoicing in this very broken land. Your faith is being proved to be weighty and real and substantial. You are being filled with an inexpressible joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls. You are storing up for yourself treasure in heaven. Just think of it. There is an inheritance there that can't be taken from you or spoil or fade or get leukemia. (1 Peter 1:3-9 Paraphrase Calhoun)

Love and grace and mercy, Phyl

No comments: