Saturday, July 26, 2008

Trying to catch my breath

So much has happened in the last few days that has been shocking, severe, redemptive, beautiful and helped me to consider the grace of God in present moments.
On a trip to the beach with my family last month, several of them noticed the bruises on my arms and legs. It was because my youngest sister had dealt with leukemia, that she asked me to check it out the problem. After a few weeks, the bruises and friends persisting; I went in to see my PA. He ordered blood work that was repeated, then sent me on to a hematology oncology specialist. Phyllis, Wendy and I met with the specialist and his team. They informed me that this was more than a consult, that they wanted to do a bone marrow biopsy and aspiration and repeat my blood work. The results came back once again abnormal, there were an increasing number of immature white cells ( blasts) in my blood and a decreasing amount of heathly red cells and platelets. The following day, Friday, we returned to hear a confirmation that I do have Acute Myelocytic Leukemia. I am going to be admitted to Forsyth Medical Center on Monday. They'll begin chemotherapy the first day. I'll be in the hospital for about a month. 2 weeks to knock out the bad cells ( and good) two weeks for my bone marrow to regenerate. That is enough of a plan for now. Each patient is different, so it's easier not to guess about the next phase.
I am so convinced that this is revealing part of God's good and perfect will for my life. Your prayers are so important, so pray for me.
Pray for me. Pray that my house will rent for the 6 months I'll be in the hospital or living with friends. Pray for my family as they are in other geographic areas and will travel to be with me at different times.
Come and visit, send me mail, comment on my blog! There is a kitchen where you can cook with me or for me. I'll need walking buddies to keep count of my laps around the floor.
When my white counts get really low, someone will post a no visitor sign on the blog or I will.
No fresh fruit or flowers. No visitors who even think that they might be sick:) - My friends are dictating to me at this point - they are also saying call or e-mail them as needed
Wendy millerhousemail@aol.com for any questions or updates
Amy Sgroi sgroifam@earthlink.net to schedule a time to sit with me or spend the night - but come anytime! We just need definite coverage as well.
This has been a long post, got to get some rest.
It's been a good day.
Rhonda

15 comments:

Alice said...

Rhonda, I'm in shock. I don't really know how to respond at this point but to say that I love you very much and, along with you, am confident of God's goodness and love for you.

I look forward to loving on you in very tangible ways!!

Always in my prayers,
alice

Angie said...

I love you SOOOO much. It so crazy how I came to visit yesterday in hopes of being a comfort and encouragement to you, yet YOU were the one who COMFORTED and ENCOURAGED me (as always). It's so affirming to see how God is loving you so intimately through this and how you are responding with such joy and patience. You have always been an amazing woman but yesterday was a wonderful reminder of how lucky I am that God chose to bring you to into my life. I treasure our friendship so much and look forward to spending time with you over the next several months. Can't wait to be with you again!!!!!!!

It goes without saying that I will be praying for you DAILY!

Angela

momo said...

Dear Rhonda,

Life is indeed shocking and beautiful at the same time. I love (and am encouraged) by your acceptance that this is God's will for your life. You are an amazing reflection of his love for us. I pray that you will continue to hold on to God's peace and that as we walk along side of you, we will know how to encourage and comfort you. I look forward to seeing you soon.

Much love, Maureen

Sandra McGee said...

Hi Rhonda. I heard your news from Debbie yesterday and was shocked! BUT I know you will have many prayer warriors (including me!) and God will bring good out of this. I will certainly come see you! LOVE YOU, Sandra

Unknown said...

Hi Rhonda. I'm just hearing this, so I'm stunned. I love you. Just gave a sermon this morning on Psalm 3: God is our shield, our sustainer, and our savior. But I'm sure you've not forgotten that. You're getting ready to experience it (Him!) as never before.

Mark

masihghar said...

Rhonda...We are thinking of you from across the pond.

This morning I was feeling kind of sorry for myself...issues with kids and Jake's newly diagnosed autism...and now this news reminds me of the scope of the brokenness and how much we need Jesus...but also, thankful for how much he has given.

I'm so thankful that you are doing a blog. I will be an avid reader. I look forward to hearing/seeing what God is up to in your life. We will break downs the doors of heaven with prayers for complete healing and for God to carry on a great work in your life!

Luv...Jim and Janice

Anonymous said...

Rhonda,

We will be praying for you as you start your journey today. I know God's healing hand is with you, as well as the many prayers from all the people that love you.

May this verse comfort you: "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight."
Proverbs 3:5-6

God has a huge plan for you and you know it is awesome!

Lovingly,

Nancy and Bradley

Hunter said...

It is in these times we prove the faith we have been building over all these years. You have used your practice time well and now the fruit is beautiful. Julie and I pray your encouragement will continue as you push back against the effects of the fall. There is a whole community pushing with you! We are sorry for your suffering but know there will be the peaceful fruit of righteousness resulting that we will all envy.

Hunter and Julie

Anonymous said...

Dear Rhonda,

My heart is with you today as you begin the start of the road that God has lead you on. I want you to know that my prayers are with you during this time. You are such a positive, endearing and wonderful person. You have such a positive and delightful spirit and I know that God is going to use you in his perfect will. On behalf of Triad Academy, we love you. I am here for you in prayer, spirit and if you need anything.

Misty :)

Anonymous said...

I Love you sis,I'm on my way!!!!!!!!!!.One more day and we will catch our breath together.Can't wait to just share your space with you


Love Mary Alice

Anonymous said...

Dear Rhonda:
I have just heard your news and want you to know how much I am thinking of you as you face this challenge, as is your entire Triad Academy family. Your courage and grace are truly inspiring. Please know that my prayers are with you and that I am here for you in any and every way.
Carrie

Anonymous said...

heyyyyyyyyy this is richard i love you sooo much i hope you fell better and you are a great mom/aunt i hope you feel better whean we go on the beach we are going toooooo have soooo much fun on tthe beach beacouse you are sooooo much FUN YES FUN soooo i hope you get better and we are going tooooo have soo much fun sending things back and forth sed some thing back LOVE YOU BYE from Richard Gray

Anonymous said...

Rhonda......we can plan our life, but God is the only one that knows our path. I am in shock.....and remembering all of your support through my fundraisers when I trained for my events through the Leukemia Society. Your love and generosity supported others and now we are here to support you. I might not be in W-S anymore, but this just spreads the prayer group even wider. I will be with you daily in spirit through prayer and will come visit when possible. You are a blessing to many! Big Hug-Susan Myers

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Welcome said...

Rhonda,
I love your daily score board. I am getting an education!

I love you!
Amanda