Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Let's take a ride.

When I walked into the house, Rhon was sitting in her chair. I could tell she was tired but asked anyway if she’d like to take a spin and put her feet up on the dashboard. She collected her hat and her scarf and her cane and we took a ride with the top down. We drove through Old Salem, up Main, down 4th to Broad, Brookstown and back down Main. It wasn’t a long ride, but I kept thinking, “What would I want to see before I leave?” The streets? The neighborhoods? The sidewalks? This city that has cradled our secrets and our sadness and our laughter? This old city…the city that has welcomed us home every time we traveled across the ocean or north for Thanksgiving dinner. Broken streets…red…green…yellow. We didn’t say much. There really isn’t much more that needs saying. Just to be together in the warmth of an odd March sun was good.

Friends, my sense is that Rhonda’s face is turning towards the other City. You know, the city without walls…the city with a river whose streams make it glad…the holy place where the Most High dwells? The city that does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it because the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp? Her senses are shifting, her face is turning. These old haunts of home don’t seem to offer the same satisfaction or peace or rest they had even a week ago. Her full citizenship is about to be transferred to that city where on no day will its gates ever be shut, for there will be no night..................And it’s a strange place to be beside her in a convertible with the top down on day like that. Rhonda Jean Dering about to find herself Elsewhere. No longer an alien in this land and who can see, not so far off, that Figure on the seashore preparing her dinner............And me...........with my hands on the wheel and my foot on the brake watching it all about to waken. Friends, pray grace and mercy as she says goodbye. Pray grace and mercy to let her go.
Always,
Phyl

6 comments:

Lynne in NC said...

Phyllis,
What beautiful words. Thank you for sharing your time with Rhonda.
Peace to you.

Catherine said...

i too clicked on this to say thank you, phyllis. Thank you rhonda too, for you have taught me so much in the short time I have known you.

Spot o'Cheese said...

The idea of living in both the Now and the Not Yet seems scarcely real to me until someone who you dearly love stands on that shore of the Not Yet -- and is at peace.

This is not normal in our brokenness to be at peace, it's a gift from our Abba Father. And it cost Him an enormous price.

Thanks Phyl for sharing your afternoon drive with us and for reminding us of truth. And Rhonda, thank you so much for giving us a front row seat at the most real thing in our entire lives.

liza said...

wow how I am going to miss Rhonda's face and smile as she graces the hall at FMC...how you have taught me more than I ever thought anyone I hardly knew could...your are my hero, inspiration and you have made me appreciate nursing and appreciate life a little more. My faith is stronger because of you..even when things are not going as I asked for you I beleive you are going to experience something unimaginable and wonderful because you are Rhonda and you are about to make the greatest place even better. know you have impacted my life and I am so proud of you!! love you dearly

A Vibrant Spirit said...

I am moved beyond words...
thank you for taking us all on this ride, for we are actually "as one" with Rhonda now, as best we can be... though at different locations, but truly together...

I have not written before, but have been following Rhonda's journey. I have long wanted to reconnect with her these past few months, but it never felt right...

thus I leave you with these words... if you would, please mention Erica's name to her. I was graced with Rhonda's blessings as she taught my daughter Erica a few years ago at FCDS. She touched us deeply then as she helped Erica comprehend math in a way no other was able to do... She spoke a language to Erica that she understood with respect... This was HUGE and I will hold this forever in my heart...

let her know I am forever grateful and moved for all she is. She has inspired me to endure my own challenges in a much better light, as I have learned and felt so much for her on her journey. I love her spirit and her whole being. I will carry her with me always.

What a blessed journey and gift you have given to me and others...
with deepest feelings and gratitude
Kim

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Calhoun, thank you so much for the beautiful writing! I sense that you are a young lady far beyond your years in wisdom, compassion, and kindness!! You are a wonderful friend to everyone you know. Thank you for using this as an opportunity for ministry. Thank you, thank you, and thank you again!

Justin Chin